This Japanese Shio Koji Hot Pot is a super easy dish to make and very tasty and healthy. The broth is subtle, so it does not distract from the deep taste of the fresh organic vegetables. A perfect dish for those cold and wet days! You just can’t go wrong with a nice warm Japanese hot pot!
This is an easy meal to make, with most of your time spent preparing the ingredients. Easily make a meal for a large family without being in the kitchen for hours. In Japan, this is a common dish enjoyed with family and friends in winter and fall.
I use these broth for this Japanese Shio Koji Hot Pot recipe:
If you don’t have a clay hot pot, I recommend this one:
Instead of a hot pot, you can use a deep frying pan like this:
If you are interested in reading more about Japanese hot pot, check out these other posts:
- Sukiyaki (すき焼き): My Favorite Dish to Eat When I’m Missing Japan
- Make Shabu Shabu at Home is Actually a Great Idea! – Japanese Shabu Shabu Hot Pot
- Shio Koji Hot Pot Could Be the Next Big Hit in the US, Move Aside Tonkotsu Ramen!
Eat Well, Be Happy!
Shio Koji Hot Pot (Japanese Hot Pot)
- Clay Hot Pot (2.2L)
- Quickly rinse cabbage with water and cut into pieces about 2 x 2 inches in size, and separate the white and green parts.
- Peel the skin of the carrot and slice horizontally into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
- Cut off the bottom portion of the Shimeji mushroom, so that each mushroom top becomes separated from the stem.
- Quickly rinse the Tofu with water and cut into 1/2 inch thick squares.
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite size pieces.
- Cut the pork belly into 2-3 inch long pieces.
- Pour the broth into the pot and bring it to a boil. (DO NOT ADD any water to it).
- Place all ingredients into the pot in groups as shown in the picture.
- Close the lid and bring it to a boil again.
- Turn the heat to low and cook for about 15-20 mins until the meat and vegetables are fully cooked. Note: Keep the lid on while cooking.
- Ita-daki-masu! A Japanese greeting which you say right before you eat. It means "thank you for the food!"
Sumiyo’s Recommended Products…
Rate this Recipe
Rate this recipe and share your thoughts. I love feedback!