These homemade biscuits are always a hit during the holidays. These are perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or anytime you want that flaky and moist goodness of a homemade biscuit fresh out of the oven.
This homemade biscuit recipe only takes about 15 minutes to prep and 20 minutes to bake. You most likely have all the ingredients in your kitchen. In our home, a holiday dinner is not complete without these amazingly simple to make, yet insanely delicious homemade biscuits. Serve them hot and fresh out of the oven for an unforgettable experience. Serve them with butter, honey or both!
Did you think homemade biscuits would be so easy to make?
- 1 Oven
- 1 Rolling Pin
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Grate butter using a box grater into the flour mixture. Be sure to toss the flour throughout this process to incorporate the butter evenly. The trick is to have very cold butter, as you do not want it to melt until it's baking in the oven.
- Create a well in the middle of the dough and pour in 1 cup buttermilk. Stir to combine. Just before it begins to come together, dump out onto your lightly floured work surface.
- Bring your dough together and work into a 1" thick rectangle. Fold the dough into thirds (e.g. imagine folding a letter to place in an envelope). Using a rolling pin (or your hands), gently pat your dough back into a 1” thick rectangle. Repeat this process two more times. Work quickly, to avoid melting the butter.
- Roll your dough back into a 1” thick rectangle. Using a 2½” round biscuit or cookie cutter, press down to cut out the biscuits and place onto baking sheet at least a half inch apart (Tip: Do not twist, pull dough away from the cutter and lift up and place on baking sheet. Bring together dough scraps and form another 1" thick rectangle and cut more biscuits.
- Brush the tops of your biscuits with melted butter and bake until tops are lightly golden in color, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately with butter and/or honey.
Sumiyo’s Recommended Products…
Rate this Recipe
Rate this recipe and share your thoughts. I love feedback!