My organic Ebi Mayo recipe, which is my favorite prawn dish. It’s so yummy! I bet you will be addicted once you try this dish! I got the idea from a Japanese Izakaya we used to go to in Shibuya, Tokyo. My husband also loves this dish and he was happy to see that I attempted to make it, since we can no longer go to our regular izakaya in Tokyo.
This Ebi Mayo recipe calls for Japanese mayonnaise. Japanese mayonnaise is quite different in taste to American mayonnaise. If you just made a face of disgust, due to thought of eating American mayonnaise, I’m with you and let me tell you, this taste nothing like it. You might actually really enjoy it. And if you do enjoy American mayonnaise, you may also enjoy this different tasting mayonnaise.
If you have a Japanese supermarket in your area, like Nijiya, they should carry Japanese mayonnaise. However, if not, or you want to create an easy to make organic version, I got your covered. Click the link to see my Japanese mayonnaise recipe.
Organic Japanese Mayonnaise
Ebi Mayo (Prawn with Mayonnaise)
- Mixing Bowl (Medium)
- Place all the ingredients for the Mayonnaise sauce in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Prepare the prawns by twisting off the heads of the prawns, then shell and devein. I leave their tails intact for the look/presentation.
- Put a cut on the prawn from their back until the middle. This is for presentation and for how it will cook.
- Dry the prawns by using paper towels. Remove any water on the surface of the prawn.
- Season the prawns with salt & pepper.
- Lightly cover the prawns with potato starch powder.
- Stir fry/deep fry the prepared prawns with sesame oil or salad oil.
- Sauce the prawns by placing them and the mayonnaise sauce in a frying pan and stir them with low heat for a little bit.
- Put them on a plate and sprinkle parsley for look.
Rate this Recipe
Rate this recipe and share your thoughts. I love feedback!