My spicy and healthy soup recipe for Korean Sundubu Jjigae. A delicious dish that can be enjoyed any time of the year and is perfect for either lunch or dinner.
It does require a lot of ingredients, but don’t let that scare you. Most of the effort is in preparation of the ingredients and then it’s just a matter of tossing them into your pot one by one. You can also customize this with pretty much any vegetable or meat that you’d like. Have fun picking your own ingredients while you try out my special mix of base ingredients for that perfect taste!
If you like spicy food and want something healthy, then you must try this spicy Sundubu Jjigae recipe! We probably eat this once a week in our home as it’s just an easy go to dish. It’s that good and it never gets old.
Sundubu Jjigae (Korean Spicy Soup with Tofu)
- Korean Stone Bowl (Dolsot)
Ingredients for Soup Base
- Cut the pork belly to the desired length. I recommend cutting into 1 or 2 inch length strips.
- Cut spring onion into 1/4 inch wide pieces diagonally (refer to picture).
- Cut the Konjac into small pieces (refer to picture).
- Add garlic powder, Gochujang, Miso, chicken bouillon paste, Kayanoya-no-Dashi, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and Japanese Ichimi red peppers in the stone bowl.
- Add water to the stone bowl.
- Mix water and ingredients well.
- Bring the stone bowl to a boil by starting with the lowest heat to avoid damaging the bowl. (IMPORTANT!)
- When the soup begins to boil, add each piece of pork belly one by one into the stone bowl (do not place all at same time).
- Add Konjac
- Add Shimeji mushrooms
- Add Kimchi
- Add spring onions
- Add Tofu
- Put a lid on the stone bowl and keep boiling for about 2-3 mins. Adjust the heat level if necessary (to avoid overflowing).
- Add a raw egg into the middle of the stone bowl carefully and keep boiling until the egg hardness is to the level you desire.
- Ita-daki-masu! (Japanese greeting word to say right before you eat. It means "thank you for the food!")
In case you need any of the ingredients listed above, I made this Sundubu Jjigae shopping list for you.
Sumiyo’s Recommended Products:
Rate this Recipe
Rate this recipe and share your thoughts. I love feedback!