This is a super simple dish to make and very tasty and healthy. The broth is subtle so you get to enjoy the deep taste of fresh organic vegetables. It’s perfect for those cold and wet days when you stay in. You can’t go wrong with a nice warm and healthy Japanese hot pot!
This is an easy meal to make, with most of your time spent preparing the ingredients. Easily make a meal for a large family without being in the kitchen for hours. In Japan, this is a common dish enjoyed with family and friends in winter and fall.
Shio Koji Hot Pot (Japanese Hot Pot)
- Clay Hot Pot (2.2L)
- Quickly rinse cabbage with water and cut into pieces about 2 x 2 inches in size, and separate the white and green parts.
- Peel the skin of the carrot and slice horizontally into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
- Cut off the bottom portion of the Shimeji mushroom, so that each mushroom top becomes separated from the stem.
- Quickly rinse the Tofu with water and cut into 1/2 inch thick squares.
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite size pieces.
- Cut the pork belly into 2-3 inch long pieces.
- Pour the broth into the pot and bring it to a boil. (DO NOT ADD any water to it).
- Place all ingredients into the pot in groups as shown in the picture.
- Close the lid and bring it to a boil again.
- Turn the heat to low and cook for about 15-20 mins until the meat and vegetables are fully cooked. Note: Keep the lid on while cooking.
- Ita-daki-masu! A Japanese greeting which you say right before you eat. It means "thank you for the food!"
Rate this Recipe
Rate this recipe and share your thoughts. I love feedback!
Sumiyo’s Recommended Products: